Sunday, November 22, 2009

My First Blog

I'm excited about having my very own blog! I'm so thrilled to share some of my thoughts, memories, stories, and pictures with...well, whoever may happen to stumble apon my blog!

I guess I'll start off first with the book I am currently reading. This summer I spent time reading Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. Last week I stopped in at Christian Supply and Picked up the sequel, The Way of the Wild Heart. I know I am NOT a male, but the reason I believe these books to be good for me is simply this - I work in a man's world...and even though I have a Father and Brother, I feel I don't have the knowledge I should about men. Wild at Heart is a great way for me to learn more about the ways of men, why they do what they do, and why I need to accept that! Digging into The Way of the Wild Heart, I have already noted a few great lessons and quotes.

"And so our basic approach to life comes down to this: We stay in what we can handle, and steer clear of everything else"

"...and we hold back where we feel sure to fail..."

"These boys are growing up into uncertian men because the core questions of their souls have gone unanswered, or answered badly".

One of the core topics Wild at Heart discusses is how a boy must be told he is a man by a male role model he looks upto. I never knew this, but can see how it is definately true. This came to life just moments ago after watching The Man From Snowy River. At the end of the movie the main character has just done the extraordinary...tamed wild horses. He tells Mr. Harrison he'll be back for 12 of the horses...and whatever else is his, meaning Mr. Harrison's daughter, Jessica. I believe it is Mr. Harrison who refers to him as a boy. His brother, Spur, corrects him..."No, he's a MAN." And another man chimes in and says..."Yes, The Man From Snowy River". And the movie ends with all being well in the world. What an example of these books brought to life. I will continue to have a lot more to say about this book, but as for today, I have noted one!

2 comments:

  1. Kayla, I love the insight you have gained from reading those books. You have worked hard to learn the most you possibly can from this information. You are a great "student" of life!

    ReplyDelete