Monday, January 25, 2010

Check, Check




So...I can finally (after about 6 years) check something off my bucket list! I've been wanting to learn how to solder jewelry ever since I worked at Pickle Papers. A couple weekends ago, I finally sat down and soldered my heart out! My parents got me a soldering kit (dvd included) for Christmas. The dvd was so helpful. All the little tricks and dos and don'ts are so great to know ahead of time. I started a shop on Etsy.com, but don't have anything up yet. Here's the address for future reference. I'm hoping to get some things up tonight as I will actually be home for once with nothing to do!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/kiwijones67

My heart is happy and content with this new trade skill I've learned! I hope I'll only get better with time. It's funny how the Lord lets me gather the materials over time, then when he provides me with the last piece of the puzzle, I've pretty much already got everything else. I'm a paper fanatic after working at PP, so I always collect scraps. If I'm at Good Will or yard sales or estate sales I ALWAYS go straight for old wrapping paper, office supplies, any paper product that's vintage looking. My family and friends were always like, "Why in the world are you buying that?" I'd simply reply, "I can put this to good use!" Or I'd go to a jewelry store and buy one earring from the clearance rack in the back corner of the store...now, It's the perfect addition to a soldered pendant! One woman's trash really is another woman's treasure...yeah, mine! Lol. I remember when my cousin Melinda was remodeling her kitchen and they took out this 1950's island that was up against one wall. When her and her husband took it out, they found receipts, bills, paper decorations, flyers, and all sorts of junk mail from 1960-1990 and the first person that popped into her head...was ME! Well guess what I'm using in my awesome soldered pieces...yeah, you guessed it. A special story for each and every piece!

All in all, I'm super exited about my newfound talent and I thank the Lord for my strong intrest and passion for this kind of artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment