Thursday, January 14, 2010

Oh, My Achin' Back...


I know some of you have heard about my back giving me some trouble. I have an old trampoline injury...don't I sound like I'm 80 years old?...where I injured my lower back and scrunched a vertebrae pretty bad, pinched nerves and all that good stuff. Every couple of years, something little happens and leads to something big. About 2 weeks ago, I simply bent over to put a bowl away and was brought to my knees in pain. I could barely walk. It was HORRIBLE! I went to the doctor where they can't do anything for you accept prescribe muscle relaxers and pain meds. This time around, they weren't doing a thing. Some of my co-workers recommended I see a physical therapist. Today was my second visit. I cannot even tell you how much better I feel. They are teaching me how to build the muscles I need to function and use my back properly. Today he started rubbing out some scar tissue from my lower back. Boy does that hurt! I'm not sure how many more times I can really afford to go to physical therapy, but I can tell you I have been a different person today. I cannot believe what a difference constant pain makes in my day-to-day life. It's amazing how much better life is when you're not in constant pain. I think a lot of people (myself included) just learn to deal with the pain, or get used to it.

Whilst in all this pain, my grandpa Ron was brought to my mind. He passed away rather suddenly last year. In the later years of his life I tried my best to ignore all his snide remarks and bitterness...in fact, I think everyone did. He was a really hard man for me to be around because of the attitude I witnessed and somehow felt. My grandfather had an immobility. He had his hip fused at the age of 13 after a football accident. Having to adapt to life in a whole new way, he had to figure out how to sit, how to drive, pretty much, how to move and get around in general. I have no doubt he was in pain for most of his life, especially after breaking his hip in his 60's. The reason I believe God brought him to my attention is because I feel I related to him with all the pain I've experienced the last 2 weeks. I cannot imagine living my life with such pain and never seeing a glimpse of relief. I was awfully hard on my grandfather while he was alive and I know God is just trying to bring me understanding and help me to let go of that hurt I experience when I think of him. So...thank you Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it is because we are kindered spirits (we do have the same birthday after all) but I relate to this post much more than I wish I did. I too have lower back issues that have popped up to give me problems every couple of years since I was 16. A Chiropractor almost ruined me but PT has been a lifesaver! So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete